Tuesday, May 1, 2007

How well does my garden grow?



















Slowly but surely the forget-me-not sprouts are spreading their leaves. No signs of blossoms, but I'm patient. I just hope they don't shrivel up in the hot summers of the central valley. All the morning glory sprouts have died at various times due to one hot afternoon and not enough water. Sheesh. I'll have to wait til I'm back down south to plant those again.


















I decided to move two of my new plants into my room. They join the aloe vera from last year which is doing fine as you can see from its long spreading leaves. It's very useful when I need a quick remedy for dry skin spots. My legs always feel really smooth after I rub some of the juice on. I took in the new parsley and basil plants b/c the basil leaves get chewed up by insects too often. I saw a parsley plant growing and doing well next to the window of another person in Davis and thought it would be nice to have some extra foliage inside. The parsley has sprouted several new leaves since moving inside, and the basil seems to be doing fine with the young leaves at the bottom still growing. It's actually really calming to see plants when I look up from studying. I recommend it for everyone. Plus, you can use the herbs in your food, like how I tore some parsley leaves and put them in my potato and leek soup yesterday.

1 comment:

Pei said...

I too think everyone should have a little herb garden! Especially when you're cooking for just one or two, it's nice to have plants when you need a sprig of something.

Rosemary is the hardiest, so if you need a beginner plant!