Thursday, July 19, 2007

Back Muskels



At the end of my bis/tris and legs workout and I'm on the ab ball doing some crunches. I notice a petite Asian lady walking towards my direction and she's looking at me. She comes forward and says, "I'm sorry, I just wanted to tell you I really admire your back. Could you tell me what you do? I don't lift free weights so I don't know what I should be doing."

That was a first. Totally random stranger coming up to me to ask for workout tips. I told her it probably had to do a lot with swimming, but I wanted to help her anyway. She said she had some wedding to go to in a few weeks and wanted to look good.

I showed her the lat pulldown. She had been doing a machine called the Lat Pull where each arm had a separate grip, but it wasn't doing much for her since she was doing 110 lbs. and it wasn't even hard. Obviously, the machine was doing too much of the work for her. I put her at 50 lbs. for the lat pulldown (keep wide grip and make sure the motion is up and down) and she was challenged.

Then I showed her the one-arm row. It was a first for her so there were a few form corrections (only use your back, not your bicep) but after some pointers she looked great.

Then, I told her to do the seated row, but she already knew that, so I didn't bother watching her form, but now that I think about it, maybe I should've.

That picture isn't the best since the top covers up the muscles, but it was the only one I had.

2 comments:

Kaahl said...

yikes. looking good and putting me to shame.

Pei said...

Yay for random strangers asking for advice! At least she's trying. She probably felt more comfortable asking for advice from you than from some burley man, anyway. :) Maybe you'll see her again and help her some more!

Speaking of getting fit for weddings, did you know that women pay something like $2000 for ten week Bridal Bootcamp programs? It's basically so they feel the need to compete and lose more weight than other brides. Gross. I'll be working out at the gym. Alone. Thank you.